Automation of business processes is one of the key ways companies boost productivity by making processes more efficient. The right business process management software can help to streamline business processes for a healthier bottom line. However, just like any other software, the right business process management software for your business will depend on the unique needs of your company.
There are different types of BPM software and knowing what will suit your company best will go a long way in making business automation a painless process. Whether you opt for free business management software or a paid version, here are some key pointers to help you pick the best BPM software for your business.
Cloud-based BPM vs On-Premises
The two main types of business process management software are web or cloud-based BPM and on-premises BPM. Cloud-based BPM is provided by the software vendor as a service where the vendor hosts and maintains all the infrastructure for you. In contrast, on-premises BPM is installed and run within your company premises so you will be responsible for the infrastructure and management of the system.
Cloud-Based BPM Benefits:
- Low initial setup costs since support, infrastructure and management are provided by the software vendor
- You can only pick features or tools that you require, cutting down on unnecessary costs
- Available on a subscription basis so you can scale your system to match the growth of your business
On-Premise BPM Benefits:
- You have complete control over the access and management of the BPM software and its infrastructure
- Easy to customize the software to suit the specific needs of your business
- Incurs only a one-time cost
Deciding whether to go with cloud-based or on-premises BPM software will largely depend on the nature of your business. Overall, cloud-based BPM may be a better option for smaller companies without extensive IT teams or infrastructure. However, for larger companies or those with sensitive data, on-premises BPM solutions may offer better data security and access control.
Full-Service BPM vs Vertical or Horizontal BPM Frameworks
When choosing a BPM software, it is important to first understand what features or tasks you want the software to handle. Whether you get free business process management software or purchase from a vendor, you can choose from three types of frameworks:
- Horizontal BPM framework: You can opt for a BPM solution that targets the construction and design of specific business procedures. This type of software focuses on the technical aspects of your business processes.
- Vertical BPM framework: If you want software thatwill automate a specific set of coordinated tasks, you can opt for a vertical BPM framework. This type of framework can be configured to work with an existing system for seamless integration.
- Full-Service BPM Suites: Full-service BPM software is the best option if you want to automate all the fundamental aspects of your business processes including data collection and processing, data analysis, system integration, process modelling, design of business procedures and system management.
Depending on the type and size of your business, you can opt for either a vertical or horizontal BPM framework or a full-service BPM suite. Businesses that only want to automate the technical aspects of their business would be better off with a horizontal BPM framework. However, if you want full-scale automation, a full-service BPM framework would be ideal.